Why a Round Dining Table Belongs in Every Home

I am not exaggerating when I say a piece of furniture changed my life. It’s true. And it has everything to do with geometry. In this case, it’s a round dining table. Years ago, I was thrilled when I moved into my very first apartment, in New York. Granted, it was a tiny fifth-floor walk-up, but still my own, and I inherited the cutest drop-leaf rectangular dining table. It was sandwiched into the little kitchen area, and perfect for me and the occasional guest or two. I loved it! But then I met my future husband, and we decamped to the greener pastures of Brooklyn for more space. My tiny table followed us there, but all of a sudden it felt dopey and just wrong. Finally, I had more room, and the space seemed to call out for a round shape. So I went round and never looked back.

Not only did it help with the flow of a floor-through apartment, but as our expanding family grew, too, the round table was just as good as ever. There’s just something about the intimacy of a round dining table: You’re never facing just one person, and the space between everyone is basically equal. There’s no head of the table, no fuss about seating arrangements. And I swear it makes dinner conversations better.

Read More >>



Comments