Zoe Adjonyoh's Ghanian Dinner Party Is All About the Music (& Jollof Fried Chicken)


When you’re "half" Irish, "half" Ghanaian and British, and also a new American immigrant, what does a dinner party look like? No, not a hot mess. Food is many things, and one of the most important things it is for me is a reference to the core of who I am, who and where I belong to, who and where I have been. Despite the incongruous geography that might otherwise set cultures apart, in both my Irish and Ghaniana ancestral roots there are in common: deep colonial oppression; religious fervor; that "it takes a village" mentality with family as a core centre; great music; great dancing; great storytelling and oral traditions filled with lore and fable; and great cuisine, despite the lack of a "respected" or lauded culinary canon. These are all the things that subconsciously speak to me when designing a dinner party and menu.

Ain't no dinner party like a Ghana Kitchen dinner party.

Read More >>



Comments